Saturday, October 13, 2007

Without a needle or a spoon

Anybody that knows me well will attest to the fact that I have a fairly addictive personality--meaning that if something strikes my bones right, I will hang on to it for dear life for quite a while. Certain candies can do this to me (every so often, I get on a Baby Ruth kick), or television shows (especially 24) can also bring this out. But nothing in recent memory has struck me as this hobby has. Today, as I was listening to the new Kanye West while mowing my parents' lawn, I wondered why games in general have such a rabid following. Why are there so many of us that have to have that game?

My first thought was the elusive greatest deal ever. Boardgames are not cheap (at least the good ones aren't--typically)--Memoir '44 will set you back more than $30. Usually, bigger games run right around this price range. But there are also plenty of smaller games that cost quite a bit for what they are (San Juan retails for $23-$25 I believe, and really is just a deck of cards with a few tiles). So, if you are a more dedicated gamer who loves your games and is always on the lookout for the next great game, when you come across a game that is either:

A) Headed towards being out of print
B) A few dollars cheaper than you can normally find it (ahem, Tanga)
C) The last copy at a convention/game store
D) Cool bits, artwork, mechanics, etc.
or
E) any combination of the above,

then it becomes irresistible to you. That game has your name on it. Your collection becomes incomplete in your eyes without it. I know--I suffer this.

Part of it is the American way--you have to have what you do not already possess. If it resembles meat, then it must be steak, right?

Part of it is exclusivity. This is well-done by the publishers in the hobby. Only 1000 copies of a popular game might be printed. Once they are gone, then, if you are lucky, there may be another print run. In 6 months, you might get that game.

Part of it is price. Like I said, games are expensive. Knock a few bucks off the cheapest price, and man you'll sell a ton of stuff (not always games). Tanga has mastered this philosophy. Toss in the occasional decent price on a very hot game, and you will sell lots of mediocre games, along with flashlights, corded phones, and popcorn tins. But, when you see Shogun for $41 instead of $43, then it becomes a no-brainer. Right?

So what do you make of all of this?

5 comments:

caron said...

what do i (me, your loving wife) think of this?

Jaybird said...

Luz, maybe your comments are best kept off-record, but yes, what do you think? This affects you in some ways, so what are your thoughts? I am sure that we will discuss it soon, but hey, this is a public blog, and I know you have very interesting things to add, so feel free.

Things of No Interest said...

Here are my thoughts, from a guy that has a few games.

--snip-- moved to my blog.

http://things-of-no-interest.blogspot.com/

Red October said...

i love learning a new game...but i really don't buy a game just because it's $2 bucks cheaper than ThoughtHammer or some other web shop. i will admit, i have been tempted by that cheaper price. Tanga has put so many games up that have no place in my collection and some that do have a place and i've wanted them for awhile (Twilight Imperium, Descent, etc), but i don't pull the trigger...i've always had a hard time spending money. and i suppose that's a good thing as i too fall head-over-heels into hobbies/interests.

Larry said...

You haven't caught the pre-pub bug yet, have you? That's when the tension really mounts -- it's worse than the week before Christmas wen your 7, waiting for a game to make the P500. It's a dangerous trap, too, 'cause they don't charge you until it ships, so you can "buy" it now, but you don't pay for it 'til later -- though you don't always know exactly when. Surprise! four pre-pubs all got charged at the same time! Sorry honey, we have to eat dogfood this month, but look at the cool games I finally got!

I've pulled the trigger on a couple of "going out of print" titles, but that was primarily to build up my collection.

I find that most of my purchases are built on the idea of contributing to the game group: we've got several players who can provide the most popular Euros and the AT faves. I'm carving out a niche as the wargame guy, though there is only minimal interest. I can pbem those titles or play 'em solo and I've gotten a couple of nibbles from the group for some of the hex&chit stuff so I don't feel it's wasted money.